Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson


My curiosity was definitely piqued when I read the back of this book. I don't read many GLBT genre books; well, I should say that I don't purposely seek them out. I am not a huge fan of stereotypical gay characters, since gay folks, in my experience, are as varied as straight folks. That being said, I was interested to see how these characters would take shape.
*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS!***** The Bermudez Triangle is made up of three lifelong friends, Nina Bermudez, Avery Dekker and Melanie Forrest. They all have their quirks, strengths and weaknesses, but that only makes their friendship stronger.
The story starts right after their junior year ends and the girls are making plans for their summer and beyond. Nina, a wealthy overachiever, is headed to a prep camp at Stanford for 10 weeks while Avery and Melanie prepare for their first job as servers in a restaurant that sounds a lot like TGIF. While Nina is gone and experiencing love at camp with Steve, an eco-activist, Avery and Mel are doing some experimenting of their own...with each other. The girls spend the summer enjoying their secret relationship and are forced to figure out how to break it to Nina when she returns.
The storyline is good, and I *LOVED* the way the girls dealt with their new feelings for each other and themselves. Mel always knew she was gay, and now wondered whether she had to get a butch haircut. Avery still likes guys too, and wondered where her place was in the world, and what her title should be. Their interaction with Nina was strained after the big announcement, and not because Nina was homophobic, but because she lost both of her best friends to a significant other...
All that being said, the book was still so-so for me. I liked the characters' soul searching, but the story going on around them wasn't that exciting for me. Nina's summer boyfriend turned long distance relationship was kind of boring. I almost feel that Nina's story should've been a separate book. Sooo, I'd recommend this book as a decent read all around, and a pretty good read for someone looking specifically for a GLBT YA read. Anyone else read this and want to discuss?

No comments:

Post a Comment