I was hesitant to read Poison Study, because it's the beginning of yet another series. *Sigh* It seems like every book is part of a series these days, and I am actively trying to read my stand alone books first. But, I am reading this one for part of a reading challenge on (you guessed it!) Good Reads, and it's going to be the subject of my next bookmark so I broke my own rule and read it.*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS*****
I enjoyed this book, and read it in just a couple of days. I knew that it was originally written for adults, and then given a new "younger" cover and marketed towards teens, so I wanted to see if I felt it was more appropriate for one than the other. And my consensus was that, like many awesome YA books these days, completely appropriate and appealing to either targeted group. The characters' ages are never mentioned, so you are free to envision them wherever you want in their 20's+. (I figured 20-25)
This story is set a long time ago, in a make believe land far, far away. When I picture the setting and time frame, I imagine Ixia to resemble Kristin Cashore's kingdoms in Graceling. There are no cars or guns, and they are ruled by a military dictator, Commander Ambrose.
Yelena, our heroine, has spent the last year awaiting execution for murder. While it was in self defense, the rules of Ixia are cut and dry... you kill someone, you are killed. She is offered a reprieve if she agrees to become Commander Ambrose's food tester. She must train to taste poisons and know their traits. Of course the risk of death is inherent to the job, but she agrees to it anyway.
Her teacher and supervisor is Valek, the commander's right hand man. The first day of training he gives her a poison that has a delayed reaction but ultimately causes death. If Yelena doesn't check in with him each morning and receive the small antedote to stall for time, she will die. This is how Valek ensures that she will not try to escape her new position.
She's looked down upon in the castle because she murdered a general's son, and she's never taken the time to explain the circumstances. Over time she manages to gain some friends, including a fragile relationship with Valek. Her intelligence serves her well in the castle, and Valek finds more uses for her. Meanwhile, the general whose son she killed is after her.
Ultimately, Yelena is able to save the Commander from the grips of an evil magician, foil the mean general and win Valek's heart. Though none of this changes the rules of Ixia, she is still a murderer, and the Commander signs the warrant for her death. Yelena is forced to flee to the bordering country of Sitia, leaving Valek behind. Nevertheless, he pledges his love to her and says they will find a way to be together.
The love story portion was obvious from the get-go, but still sweet and likeable. Yelena is a nice strong character who does what she needs to to survive, but still has a heart and conscience.
Guess I'll be starting book two... *sigh*
















I really enjoyed this series! Though the first is my favorite.
ReplyDeleteMy son actually read the series first, and kept asking me if I'd read them yet.. He enjoyed them all, but my fear is that the others won't live up, as you mentioned.
ReplyDeleteHi Angela! I just wanted to pop in and let you know that I've awarded you a Versatile Blogger Award! Click Here!
ReplyDelete